Useful Interview Questions
It can be very tricky to understand if someone is the right fit for your organisation when you interview them. Most people don’t have any formal interview training and are usually desperate to bring people onboard quickly which can cloud your judgement. Eric Schmidt, former CEO of Google, believes that being an accomplished interviewer is the single best skill you can possess in business.
Here are some simple general questions that you can use to gage if someone is the right fit for your business.
- What’s the coolest thing you have ever done?
- What can we do to ensure you love working here?
- What is your proudest career accomplishment to date?
- What do you think the most important attribute for a [insert job title] is?
- Why do you believe you will be successful in this particular role?
- Why do you want to join our team?
For the best results, you need to ask similar questions to the above that match your specific needs. For example, ask them to provide examples of where they have lived your teams’ values.
If one of your teams’ values is growth mindset and it’s fundamental to success in the team and the role then you could ask questions around this such as:
- Do you have any hobbies?
- How long have you been doing them?
- What have you learned in the last year?
- What’s the best business book, blog or podcast you have ever read or listened too?
Get the idea?
You don’t have to do what everyone else does, look beyond the expected. You are trying to work out if the people you are interviewing, either in person are the right humans to fit in with your team so ask the question that important to you.
To build effective teams of people spend the time you have concentrating on 3 key areas:
- Are they motivated by your company mission/vision and the role they will play in delivering this mission?
- Does their world view and behaviour fit in with the team's attitude, values & culture?
- Can they actually do the role as you need it done in your organisation – don’t just rely on what their previous job titles have been, it’s about assessing the fit for your team not someone else’s
If you are already partnered with us, then all of this will be easy as we will already havebrought to light all of the above during the job briefing stage.
As always, thanks for reading.
Don't hesitate to get in touch to find out more